Monday, August 18, 2008

Fuming turned into pondering...

A word (or two) about the picture in my header.

I was walking down Lombard Street in San Francisco. Admiring the wonderful Hydrangea and gorgeous Fuscia... I have walked it before. A couple times when we had been out there visiting... the flowers always got me... at the bottom of the stairs I noticed the most gorgeous rose... a perfect bloom... so I stopped to take a picture...

Just as I was snapping the digital... I heard someone snidely yell out from their minivan... "Stupid bitch... you would think she'd never seen a rose before"... Laughter... "Yeah... look around you lady"... I turned around to see a van full... the driver was an older adult woman... she was laughing looking at me.

I was so angry... I wanted to shout after them... "beauty is in the eye of the beholder you know"... and... "if I don't want to look at frickin' Alcatraz I don't have to"...

I think of that needless act of intrusion every time I look at my photograph... But it has made me realize something else...

We all have things we get excited about... different things... we are all entitled to find those moments that make us giddy over the little things... the minutiae...

I have not always been kind or accepting in those moments for others... giggling in disbelief... being overly dismissive...

But I plan to try really hard to let others enjoy the discovery of their perfect rose blossom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment